Becoming ill or suffering a chronic illness changes your life. You may have to take medications and visit your doctor often. You may also need more advanced health insurance.
Before the creation of the Affordable Care Act, it may have been difficult for you to find insurance. Then, insurance companies could deny you health insurance because of your pre-existing condition. If they covered you, it was likely very expensive.
Today, this is different. Denying coverage for pre-existing conditions is no longer allowed, by law.
What Is a Pre-Existing Condition?
A pre-existing condition is any illness or condition you have before obtaining health insurance. It might include asthma, cancer, a physical injury, or a bad back. There are many types of conditions that qualify.
If a doctor diagnosed you with a condition prior to obtaining health insurance, you have a pre-existing condition.
Will Pre-Existing Conditions Limit Your Access to Health Insurance Today?
The laws have changed some key facts about health insurance. Under the Affordable Care Act, you have some rights to obtaining the care you need:
- Under the plan, no insurance company or policy can reject you as a result of a pre-existing condition.
- Insurance issuers cannot charge you more just because you have that condition either. You may need different or more comprehensive coverage, though. This will help ensure your policy is extensive enough to limit your out-of-pocket costs.
- Health insurance can't refuse to pay for basic health care because of your condition. This is true even if the care began before you had coverage.
- Once you have the policy, the health insurance company cannot deny you coverage later. And, it cannot raise your rates solely based on your health.
- These requirements also apply to Children’s Health Insurance Program and Medicaid recipients.
What does this mean for you?
If you are currently looking for health insurance, these rules help protect you. You can now get the health coverage you need without having to worry about what type of ailments you may have.
Your insurance company may still ask health-related questions when you apply for a policy. And, you may need a policy with more coverage to defray some of your costs for more advanced care. However, you should be able to find the health insurance you need. With health insurance, you can reduce medical costs and ensure you have access to the care you need.
Mosley Insurance is here to help you with health care coverage. We can explain to you how you can get the best coverage for a pre-existing condition. If you are ready to get started, get an online quote now. Call us at (405) 224-1000 for more information.